The dream of several generations of Tamils, particularly the Hindus, living in and around the city of Colombo was fulfilled in 1951. The 12th of February 1951 was a red letter day. On that day was founded the Pillaiyar Padasalai with 48 students and a few volunteer teachers. Mr.Pathamanathan was the first Principal. This was in sequence to the fervent made by a large of the Hindus residing in Colombo. Today this school has blossomed into the formant Tamil Medium National School in the western province. This has been due to the efforts of the founder members and the encouragement, Co-Operation, Assistance and unstrings generosity of parents, old boys and well wishers.
The initial task of the founders was to find money to launch the school project and their target was to collect one million rupees. A Pamphlet, 10,000 copies in English and 5,000 copies in Tamil was published on the 20th February 1951.
“We have thought it proper to call upon ourselves – 24 founder members of The Hindu Educational Society- to make the initial sacrifice in this great cause. We felt that we could not be justified in appealing to the public for contributions without first providing tangible proof of our own earnestness to make this big venture a success. Some of the 24 members cannot contribute much, but still we have put up one hundred thousand rupees, the money required immediately for the establishment of the primary school”.
In the month of March 1951 The Pillaiyar Padasalai was shifted to the present premises. Mr.T.Sathasivam was the first head master of the school.
The school started in a small in a humble building and as the number of students increased over the years, more and more buildings were put up to accommodate them.
In January 1953, classes up to the senior were commenced. But On the 1st of January 1955 Classes above the fifth grade were transferred to the then newly established Hindu College at Ratmalana. The primary school continued to function at Bambalapitiya. There was however only one Principal for the two institutions.
Mr.N.Satyendra was appointed principal on the 1st of January 1957. Thereafter Mr.T.Subramaniam was appointed principal on the 1st January 1959. Both schools (Hindu College at Bambalapitiya) came under the control of the Education Ministry. Then Mr.S.Ambalavanar was appointed principal.
Soon after the take-over, parents of the students of the Bambalapitiya School insisted that it should function independently of the Ratmalana School and that it should also conduct classes up to the senior grade.
Former senator Mr.T.Neethirajah laid the foundation stone for the first three storey block of class room on the 3rd of March 1966. The block was completed within a short period and there after, the expansion of the school gathered momentum to meet the first growing needs of the Hindu Tamil community.
Mr.P.Nalliah was appointed principal on 01.01.1967 and the school was upgraded and named “Hindu Junior School”. At the same time, it started to function, independently of Hindu College, Ratmalana. Mr.I.M.R.A.Iriyagolle, the Hon. Minister of Education declared open a new three storey block of class rooms.
The students of the school were divided in four houses with a view to promote a healthy spirit of competitiveness amongst the students. Being a Tamil Hindu School the “Houses” were named after four famous Tamil figures- Valluvar, Kambar, Elango and Bharathi. The colours assigned to the “Houses” were Blue, Green, Yellow and Red respectively.
These “Houses” brought out the talents and competitive spirit of the students in sports, aesthetics and academic activities. The first inter-house sports-meet was held in 1968. In 1969 the college band formed and it is being actively used at various functions and events related to the school. On 28th March 1969 the first Prize-Giving of the Hindu Junior School was held with the Hon. Prime Minister Mr. Dudley Senanayake as the Chief Guest.
A Tamil cultural show was held under the patronage of Mr.K.B.Ratnayake, the Hon. Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and Sports on the 5th of August 1970. Mr.P.Nalliah retired as principal on 31st December 1970 and Mr.V.Shanmugaragah took over as acting principal on 5th January 1971.
Mr.T.Sangaraligam was appointed principal on 15th February 1971. In the years that followed four more multi storey blocks of class rooms, a fully-equipped Science laboratory, an administration block as well as an Assembly hall were constructed in rapid succession with the active support, co-operation and the generosity of the parents, alumni and well-wishers of the college.
Senator Mr.C.Kumarasuriar, the Hon. Minister of Posts And Telecommunications, laid the foundation stone for the second three-block of class rooms. The grade nine classes commenced on the 1st of January 1973. “Brindhavanam Carnival” was held for one week in July 1973. Senator Al. Haj Badiuddin Mohamed, the Hon. Minister of Education declared open the second three-storey block of class rooms. Members of the Parent Teachers Association laid the foundation stone For the Silver Jubilee block of classrooms the third three Storey block. From 3rd April 1975 the school began to function as a one-session school.
In 1974 the college commenced classes for the General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level). Three years later, in 1977 classes for the General Certificate of Education (Advance Level), were started and the name of the school was change to Colombo Hindu College. The Silver Jubilee block the third three storey building was formally declared open by the Hon. Prime Minister Mrs. Srimavo Bandaranayke on 31st May 1976.
Mr.Nissanka Wijeyeratne the Hon. Minister of Education laid the foundation stone for the fourth three Storey blocks of class rooms on 5th April 1978 and President J.R.Jeyawardane formally declared open The President’s block on 17th January 1979.
Mr.V.Balasubramaniyam gifted a well-equipped Science Laboratory to the college in 1979. The Administration Block which also includes, the Principal’s office, the Reception room, the College office, the Library and the Staff Room was built and donated by Cinema Magnate, Mr.K.Gunaratnam. Mr.Anura Bastian Member of Parliament (Colombo West) laid the foundation stone for the fifth three storey block of class rooms on 14th June 1979 and President J.R.Jeyawardane declared the building open. A Technical workshop was formally declared open by Mr.K.Periyasamy on 9th September 1979. Members of the Parent Teachers’ Association laid foundation stone for the College Assembly hall was laid on 5th December 1979 and it was informally commissioned on 11th March 1983.
The foundation stones for a Sister-School the Ramanathan Hindu Ladies’ College were laid by Messrs. C.Renganathan Q.C, Mr.D.M.Swaminathan and Mr.T.Sangaralingam on 14th November 1980. Mr.R.Premadasa, the Hon. Prime Minister formally declared open the new Administration Block on 6th February 1981.
In July 1983 the College premises became a refugee camp for Tamils affected by the communal disturbance. As the school was a refugee camp classes up to grade eight commenced under Mrs.P.Thuraiyah at Roman Catholic Tamil Mixed School at Lauries Road, Bambalapitiya, whilst classes from grade nine upwards commenced under Mrs.K.Gangesan at the Isipathana Maha Vidyalaya, Havelock Town on 13th October 1983, class re-commenced at the college premises after the refugee camp was closed down on 1st January 1984. On 17th May 1985 Mr.T.Sangaralingam went abroad and Mr.S.Patkunam was appointed acting Principal.
Mr.D.R.Rajalingam assumed duties as the eighth Principal of the College on 15th January 1986. College Alumnus and proprietor of Meihandan press R.Aruljothinathan formally declared open the renovated college canteen. The Old Boy’s Association was formed on 28th September 1986. The Hon. Minister of Regional Development, Hindu Religious and Hindu Cultural Affairs Mr.Chelliah Rajadurai declared open the Pavilion on Friday 29/05/1987.
The foundation stone for the Viththaga Vinayagar temple was laid in 1987 and the Kumbabisheham was held in February 1988. The Humedica & Dental Surgery was declared open by Dr.Peter jenand, Deputy Ambassador of Federal Republic of Germany on 9th August 1990. In 1990 Mr.D.R.Rajalingam was transferred to the Department of Examinations and Mrs.V.Sundaramoorthy acted as Principal For sometime till Mr.Srirajasingam was appointed Principal. In the middle of 1990 Mr.B.S.Sarma was appointed Principal. The foundation stone for the Pulendran Block of class rooms was laid by Hon. Deputy Minister of Education Mrs.R.M.Pulenbran on 21-11-0990 and Mrs.R.M.Pulendran who was the Chief Guest at 40th anniversary celebration declared open the building. The Government declared the school as A National School on 11-09-0991. The School organized a cultural festival for 7 days in October 1991 during the S.A.A.R.C. Conference.
The Hon. President Ranasinghe Premadasa formally declared open The President block on 27th January 1994. Mr.T.Muthukumarasamy was appointed principal in 1996. In 1997 Computer classes were started. In 1998 foundation for new three storey building was laid by Hon Minister of Transport and Highways A.H.M Fowzie, MP. Hindu College Development Trust was created in 1999. A Botanical Garden was opened on 17th February 2000. 12th February 2001 Golden Jubilee celebrations commenced. Fifty traditional oil lamps were lit and fifty school flags were hoisted by well wishers of the school. 2nd November 2001 The Indoor Sports Stadium was opened. 2nd of December Golden Jubilee “Colors Nite” was organized by the O.B.A. 11th February 2002 Opening ceremony of the Primary Library, Computer Laboratory, New Canteen and the renovated Library.
On the 30th September 2002 Mr.Manilal Fernanda, Chairman of the Football Federation, declared open the newly constructed playground which gives a new look for the sports at Hindu College.
The OBA constructed a scoreboard with fully equipped office underneath – declared opened the same in 2004. Mr.Ponnampalam Ramanathan (a well wisher) constructed a Basket ball court for our college in memory of his wife, Mrs.Manovathana Ramanathan.